Friday, January 13, 2012

superstitious stitching . . .

In honor of it being Friday the 13th, I thought I'd share this list of Stitcher's superstitions that was published in our guild's newsletter in August, 2010. I stumbled across the list when the newsletter became my job and thought it would be fun to post here. Originally the list was found on Quilts by the Creek.
These superstitions were gathered from different sources and references regarding quilting superstitions.

1. If you begin a quilt on Friday, you'll never live to finish it.
2. NEVER quilt on Sunday. [It is the day of rest.]
3. Bad luck to break a thread.
4. Stitch a spider web in a quilt and bring good luck.
5. Never make a perfect quilt because only God can make something perfect.
6. While sleeping under a quilt for the first time and you dream, your dream will come true.
7. If you break a needle while quilting, the next baby will be yours. (Oh my good gravy ... I did this not too long ago ... Todd will NOT be happy to hear this one!)
8. Don't put the last stitch in the quilt unless you want to become an old maid.


I got curious and decided to do a little quilt superstition googling. Here's some other superstitions I found . . .

• After a quilt is completed, the quilter should sleep with the quilt one night and then give it to the special person it is made for.
• When a person is ill, it is said if they sleep with a quilt, all the love from the quilt will heal them.
• Never make human figures on a quilt. It is believed the figures will walk and visit you at night.


I found another interesting post on quilting superstitions and lore on Rikstacket.

Any other superstitious quilters out there?? Anything you will or won't do on Friday the 13th?!

Mmwaaahahahahaa!!

:)

8 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Very interesting - but I have a quilt to to put on the machine - and it has to be today so it is done on schedule.

Pat said...

I am cutting a quilt out today.....BUT....I actually designed it a few days back and then shopped for the fabric two days ago. SO....to my way of thinking, the designing day was when I started this one...NOT the day I start cutting it. LOL

Deanna said...

There's a bad day to quilt?

Editfolt said...

Superstitions are a lot of fun. We have a Friday the 13th, lucky day.!

Love Bears All Things said...

I mentioned that it was Friday the 13th to Jim this morning when I got up. He said, better not be around any black cats today....and here sits Smokey in my lap. I'm not superstitious at all.
Congratulations, grandmother, I saw the facebook post but haven't seen one here about it. I miss some, I know, so you may have done one.
The sun is shinning but it is bitterly cold out there. The good thing is: it won't last but a few days.
Mama Bear

Sarah said...

Sew...you're saying if one was to make a quilt with half-dressed firemen on it, does that mean the handsome men will visit me - er, the quilter - in the middle of the night? LOL

Mary said...

The only ones I remember are about not sewing on Sunday and takign a nap under it before gifting it. Jennifer Chiaverini told of one in her first Elm Creek Quilter Book " "The Quilter's Apprentice" pg 75-76 something about if you make a baby quilt with the Wandering Foot Block the child will never be content to stay in one place. Turkey Tracks is another name for that Block. I'm sure there are other superstitious Quilt Blocks.

Barbara F. said...

I enjoyed this post, Denise. I will abide by all those things if I ever get to making one! So you broke a needle, huh?.......(insert big grin here) xo