Monday, January 02, 2012

when old is new again . . .

So. On my design wall this first Monday morning of the new year is an old project. In fact, this is the oldest project I have. I decided to take up Judy Laquidara's "12 in 2012" UFO (UnFinished Object) challenge and yesterday she announced that #5 on our lists would be the UFO we should finish for January. Ummm... according to my UFO 2012 page, my #5 quilt is this one . . .
Rut roh. The Pineapple Quilt.

Actually I guess it's not really as bad as it seems in my head. This was a BOM project from Patches & Stitches in 2007. I love the wild color play in this quilt! In fact, it was seeing this quilt and wanting to participate in the BOM that got me to finish my 2006 BOM from Patches & Stitches -- which also happened to be my very first quilt.

The Pineapple Quilt was a queen-sized quilt-as-you-go project. And it's not all that far from being completed. All the blocks have been pieced and quilted and they've been lined up into rows and sewn together. I think I need to hand-stitch the edging strips down between blocks, but that's really a simple matter of a couple of evening's work. Good work to have on hand while I'm waiting for a baby to be born!

My center is finished, too ...
The center was optional to the project, but since it was one of my favorite parts of the quilt, I had to do it! It looks better in person -- I think this photo may be pre-quilting.

What's tough is the next step . . . adding the red sashing to the center, and making it square up to fit inside my rows.
I think this photo was taken from the sampler quilt in the shop.
My red sashing is quilted and ready ... I've just never worked up the nerve/courage to fit it around my center and cut it to size. Once this is done, I'll stitch my rows together and sew on the borders (which are ready). Then it will be a simple matter of binding, because the quilting part is done.

All right January, one less UFO will be in my coffers, come February 1!

Check out who else might have a UFO re-visiting their design wall by visiting Judy's Patchwork Times.

Yesterday was quite lovely.  The rain from the early morning gave way to sunshine and every glistened and sparkled just like the first day in a new year should.  I got things out and together for today's wall and post.  I did a little reading . . . a very interesting book called The Minimalists Woman's Guide to Having it All.   I don't know that I agree with everything she says in the book, but she makes some great points and suggestions and I'll probably end up sharing more about it later in the week/month.  
My split pea soup came out nicely -- it's a nice crock pot recipe -- and was good for lunch and dinner.   I also had a few of my new favorites . . . the graham cracker toffee cookies (or candies -- I'm not sure which is more appropriate).  I sent the rest of with Todd to the fire station.  No need in keeping the whole tin here.  That's just trouble waiting to happen!

I did some housekeeping, made some notes in my planner, planned our menu for the coming week and made a grocery list, and wrote out my thank you notes and some other cards, all while I watched a couple of movies.  I watched Steel Magnolias (I was struck by the fact that no one stands when the bride walks the aisle in Shelby's wedding -- I'd never realized that in the hundred times I'd watched it before), The Devil Wears Prada, Little Shop Around the Corner (the original You've Got Mail), and Beauty and the Beast.  Yup.  It was a marvelous day.  :)

And guess what? It's MONDAY -- my *favorite*!! Have a terrific day!!

:)

22 left a comment . . .:

Deanna said...

That is a quilt WELL WORTH FINISHING! What a lovely thing it will be J(already is, really).

And, I would like your soup recipe. It looks delicious.

Happy New Year!

Karen S said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! (And I love split pea soup!)

Diane said...

oh my I agree that quilt is so worth finishing! And cripes you're so close anyway-looking forward to a post with the finished picture!

Kate said...

Gorgeous quilt. I like the color play too.

Funny coincidence, #5 is my oldest UFO too. I don't think mine will get done this month, but it will be good to make the start on getting it there.

Sandi P said...

Beautiful quilt - can't wait to see the finish.

Connie said...

Denise this is such a beautiful quilt you have to finish it! I love all the colors and blocks! The center is perfect! Your split pea soup sure looks yummy!

Mary said...

I absolutely love your January UFO. Sounds like you are off to a great start for 2012.

ANudge said...

Such a colorful quilt. Love the center. Wish I could be as productive as you in my days.
You are an inspiration.

Barbara F. said...

You can do it! Can't wait to see the finished quilt. I love all the movies you watched yesterday. I have to see the original version of You've Got Mail. xo

AnnieO said...

I'll bet that your No. 5 comes together much easier than you expect--you're a much more experienced quilter now! Glad your year is starting out nicely!

Editfolt said...

I love to eat pineapple. But the good is Quilted.

Quilty Conscience said...

I LOVE the pineapple center! I also LOVE split pea soup but it literally makes my husband gag. Toni

Quilter Kathy said...

You are so close to finishing...you can do it!!
Would love to hear more about that book!

Lee said...

Indeed a bright quilt, and lovely, and it fits your personality :) Looking forward to seeing "the finish". You have split soup, I have a (hodgepodge) barley/mushroom/beef from our rib roast trimmings. In fact, it's lunch time so I think I'll go grab a bowl. Have a wonderful day!

Rhonda said...

There's nothing wrong with something old to something new. I love your project. Hang in there and take care.

Anne said...

I'm so glad to hear other people have old projects they are working on also!! Good luck, and I can't wait to see the finished project!

QuiltSwissy said...

I think your pineapple quilt is beautiful. Not like polar bears, it is actually pretty!

glen: yeah for finishing! And Split Pea Soup!

Kristen said...

What a beautiful quilt...well worth finishing! :)

Melissa said...

A quilting bucket list?! What an excellent idea. I think I shall blog about creative bucket lists of all kinds. What a great way to set artistic goals without feeling too structured or boxed in.

rubyslipperz said...

YUM!! do you have a recipe for the crockpot split pea and...the WONDERFUL looking graham/toffee yummies?

Great quilt...great that you are finishing it too! =)

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Bonnie said...

Wow! That quilt is almost finished... you go girl.

Gari said...

I have never made a quilt as you go quilt but this one looks great. And I do love medallion quilts.