Monday, January 23, 2012

take twenty-five . . .

Heading towards the design wall today is a special block.  Our guild (Heritage Quilters of Huntsville) is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, and in recognition of that milestone, we are doing a BOM that features 10" blocks with 25 pieces.

Since I do the newsletter, I'm very familiar with not just our logo . . .

But also with the color scheme of our logo that changes monthly . . . 

Since the chairman of the 25th Anniversary Committee suggested we go scrappy with our blocks, I thought, "Why not go scrappy in HQH's monthly color scheme?"  

And then I thought, "Why not put each block together as a quilt-as-you-go project and then use it for the FMQ challenge?!?"  Great idea.

So here is the first block (I'll do the second option) . . .

And here are the colors I'll use for it . . . 
I love it when a plan comes together!

I'm headed to Jocelyn's today to play with Ellie . . . y'all head on over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times to check out additional design walls!

Happy Monday!

:)

19 left a comment . . .:

Pat said...

Sounds like an ambitious...and fun....BOM project for you and your guild members! Enjoy your time with Ellie and remember to take the camera with you AND to bring it back home with you, too. :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

HA Pat - yes, remember that camera! Love that newsletter showing the colors - how clever and think the QAG is a great Idea for putting it all together. Hey, you shopped my stash - I have those same fabrics in the same colors.

Kathie said...

Great idea about the color themes.

Sally Hamilton said...

So pretty. Hope you were safe last night with the storm that rolled through. Someone special to me live in Huntsville and he text'd me in the middle of the night and said it was a rough weather night.

Gari said...

I think you should make a quilt using the fans of many colors. They are really beautiful. Love your color choices for your BOM.

Michelle said...

That's going to be gorgeous!

Diane said...

great idea-isn't it amazing how one idea will spawn more and more!

Bonnie said...

Looking good but you sure are ambitious. I look forward to seeing your blocks...

Janet O. said...

I get all the way through your post and I'm still stuck on the idea that your guild logo changes colors every month. Amazing! : )

Love Bears All Things said...

It would be pretty to do a quilt using the monthly themes as well...I am going to visit the guild one of these days. I plan to every month but then let it slip by without making arrangements...the girls in Madison have said I could ride with them if I didn't want to drive.
Have fun today,
Mama Bear

Mary said...

YEA, an Ellie day sounds like the perfect start for your week. That project will wait. I thought at first you were making your logo in all it's colors for your FMQ project. That would be a fun quilt. Love the fans.

Cathy said...

That looks like a great idea. Have a GREAT day playing and cuddling that beautiful baby girl.

AnnieO said...

Clever you! Love the fans and the options for setting the 25. What a great quilt this will make.

Jean said...

I need to become more familiar with the QAYG method... I know I could really have fun with it.

Editfolt said...

I like these blocks. Looks so than the hot air on ball.

Sarah said...

Very clever to link a lot of your projects together! I still need to work on my January FMQ project. Have fun playing with Ellie today!

Gmama Jane said...

Tell me more about this Denise!! Is there a pattern somewhere? I didn't see the newsletter recently. I may have overlooked it. Could you send it to me again. I would love to make these blocks.
Jane

Alycia said...

Great Ideas! Love the color combinations!

Kate said...

Very cool plan. Can't wait to see that project come together.