Sunday, January 29, 2012

stash report #5 and an a milestone . . .

Well, not in the (necessarily) normal sense of a milestone.  But it *was* one nonetheless . . . both for me AND for Sawyer.  Yesterday was his first visit to the fire station!  Oh MY but we had a good time!!
He was jauntily dressed for the adventure, too!
He was excited to be off in the car with me and even more excited that it was Paw-paw we were driving to see.  He wasn't quite sure of what to make of the station, when we pulled up, except that across the street there was a big school bus parked, quite a number of tractors, and a plane.  The garage doors were closed so he couldn't see the fire trucks ... yet.
We went in and he clung to his Paw-paw.  All these strangers greeting him and talking to him like they knew him!  It must have been a little overwhelming (which isn't a bad thing for a rambunctious nearly two-year-old, if you know what I mean).  Todd took him around to see the station and introduced him to the crew.  Sawyer wouldn't say much (except, Paw-paw and Neesey), but he did give all the guys a fist bump.  He's cool like that.
Then we went into the truck room . . . talk about your two-year-old shock and awe!  I heard that breathless little, "Whoa!" quite a number of times as they explored the trucks and turned on lights and opened "secret" compartments.  It was such a sweet evening.  And Sawyer ate like a fire fighter, too.  Grilled chicken, baked beans, potato salad and rolls.  And don't you know that boy cleaned his plate and ate off mine, too!  
 
 
It was a milestone for me too . . . my first outing with him since the surgery!  Whoohoo!!  I've been getting along pretty nicely without crutches or the roller and just the boot for about the last four-five days.  I was supposed to be working on being full-weight bearing in the boot by ... TOMORROW!  I did it!  I go back to the doctor's tomorrow morning for more x-rays and we'll see where I am.  Whew.

Stash this week?  It stayed the same.  I must say that's getting rather boring.  I've not purchased a single bit of fabric so far this year and it's chafing me a bit.  I do see a purchase in the very near future, because I'm working on a project that is just *begging* for something I do NOT have in my stash.  What's a quilter to do?  Shop, of course!!  Anyway, here are the numbers:

Used/donated this week: 0.0 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 3.25 yards
Purchased/added this week: 0.0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 4.0 yards
Net used/donated for 2012: -0.75 yards

As usual, I'm linking up with Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times.  Head on over to check out how everyone else fared this week!

This is the day that the LORD hath made; I will rejoice and be GLAD in it!!

:)

18 left a comment . . .:

Diana said...

Your little guy is adorable (especially in that hat) How exciting for him to get to visit his paw-paw at work. Glad to hear you are on the mend too!

Dee Dee said...

What a wonderful time was had by all of you at the fire station. Almost as much fun as quilting!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

What wonderful memories you are creating with each other! He's precious and I'm thinking it won't be long before he's asking for his own firetruck! I'm thinking you ought to go in search of firetruck fabric fpr a quilt!

Kathy said...

What an awesome time you and Sawyer and Paw-paw had at the fire station.

Paula said...

I just love the hat on him. He is so adorable. I would say he had a great time with his pawpaw and neesey. Thank for sharing.
Hugs

Jean said...

oh my gravy... he's in hog heaven! I know that he's just a happy camper just soaking all the coolness in!!!!

Pat said...

I bet Sawyer asks frequently now about going back to the firehouse! :) I'm glad you had such a nice time there with him.

Michelle said...

So glad to hear you're getting around better. And full weight bearing? Wooo-hooo!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love the attire for a jaunt with his Neesy! Good luck in your check up tomorrow.

Barbara F. said...

Something so cute about a little boy and a fire house visit. I barely remember when my father took me to his fire house and we went down the pole together - wheee! I was scared and elated at the same time. xo

Momof3girls said...

Girl, I add fabric to my stash almost every week. I went to my new favorite fabric shop yesterday and got a lot of new fat quarters. She was having a sale and they were all $1.50 each. Of course, I had to get 2 yards of some fabric that I needed for a diaper bag and name pillow. I had just purchased fabric at Walmart the day before that too. I'm sure I will buy more fabric this week at some point. You can never have enough fabric. A lot of fabric also went out the door this past week and will this coming week too. Happy Sewing!

Alycia said...

What an adorable little boy!!! Love the Dapper -ness of his outfit, and oh my - I bet he talks trucks to you for a long time! Congrats on getting better on the foot!

Editfolt said...

Is it good for a fire engine. They both looked good. You and Sawyer. Oh, and Todd:)

Kate said...

What a fun day! I'm sure Sawyer will remember that day for a very long time. What a great memory to give him and yourselves.

ANudge said...

What a wonderful trip for your little guy. And congrats on getting out.

krisgray said...

Wow - that looks like about the most fun a little guy could have. And to share it all with Paw Paw - cool!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How cute! Love the trip to the fire station! Glad you are doing better! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Sarah said...

A girl could swoon over a little man in plaid!! Glad to hear he enjoyed the firehouse trip - I'm sure it won't be his last. And yet it's your first trip out with him in months - how fun for both of you!