Friday, January 27, 2012

trifaulta . . .

If a trifecta is a run of three wins or grand events, then you can imagine what a trifaulta is, right?  Yeah.  That was my yesterday.

Well actually I'm not sure when it started.  Because for the life of me I cannot remember which project it was that I cut into the black yardage that was set aside for my January UFO -- the Pineapple Quilt.   There was a hole cut out from one end, and a huge square cut out from the other.  Seriously?!  Ugh.  I'd purchased that material in 2007 and faithfully preserved it for that project.  Ugh again.  I hope I have enough!  Fault number one.

Sooooo . . . I pulled out the center today to trim it down.  I'd chalked the corners, got my ruler out and . . . 
Whacked away!  Haha . . . no, that was not fault number two.  Thank goodness!

Next I chopped up the quilted red for the sashing . . .

And then I pinned all four pieces onto the center . . .

That's when I realized fault number two.  I had just spent an hour carefully pinning all these pieces together only to remember that I'm NOT supposed to pin/stitch the pieces together until I've attached the strips that cover the zig zag stitches.  Ugh, ugh, ugh.

So . . . I abandoned the pinning for a minute and went in to dutifully cut my strips from what's left of my black fabric.  It's been so long since I've completed a QAYG project, I'd forgotten a lot!  I had to measure strips I'd already sewn down to know how wide to cut my strips.  I got my number, once again grabbed my ruler, cut out my eight strips, and turned on the iron to press them in half.

That's when I hit fault number three.  The strips were too narrow.  Crumb!  I hadn't taken into account the 1/4" (doubled) -- instead of 1-1/8" wide they should have been 1-5/8" wide.  And my black fabric is dwindling!  What do I do!

I forged ahead.  I went ahead and left everything pinned the way it was and zig zag stitched my pieces down.  

And then instead of folding my strips in half, I folded each side in a 1/4" to leave me with 5/8" strips. And then I hand stitched both sides of the strips down.  On all eight of the seams (four front, four back).  
So here's my thinking.  Yes, it took a lot of extra time, but I saved precious black fabric ... yeah.  All four inches.
BUT . . . I am this much closer to a finish now!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Denise I've done similar things way too many times. And it seems as if when you make that first mistake you're doomed to make another. But in quilting there is always a way to salvage it...thank goodness. "If you don't tell anyone that crazy purple fabric wasn't supposed to be there and here everyone will just think you're extremely creative" or so I tell myself. :) blessings, marlene

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Doesn't bad things come in threes? Old superstition, but.... Glad you were able to work thru it as this is such a pretty piece.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

So sorry for the troubles. Glad things worked out. It's really pretty.

Cathy said...

How do you know when you're a quilter? When you make a mistake, and figure out a way to make it work even with the mistake. Did you ever watch Bob Ross, the artist? He used to say that there is no such thing as a mistake, there are just "happy accidents" Your quilt is looking fabulous!!!

Pat said...

Hey...very good. I am going to call you "Lady Denise, the Duchess of Making Do"!!! And......nobody is going to know it's not the way it was SUPPOSED to be because it looks terrific!!!

Paula said...

Mistakes are wonderful, even if they upset us. Just look at how gorgeous it turned out! I love it.
I had one of those days this week. Using my walking foot to quilt a small quilt. Got it all quilted, sewed binding on,layed it out it on table to admire.....ut oh! I failed to quilt one of the blocks! When I make a mistake and think about how I ruined something and now it is NOT perfect,I know that is God's way of telling me "nothing is perfect. Create your own path."
I will leave that block empty and smile every time I see it,knowing I have followed my own path.
Hugs

Jean said...

I hate those days! But look on the bright side... you did save precious fabric and the quilt will be just beautiful!

Love Bears All Things said...

I hate it when that happens but looks like you made it work for you....I have started pinning notes to fabric I buy for a particular reason so that I don't use it for something else...
I like this piece you've done...
Mama Bear

Editfolt said...

You look nice. This purple dumbbells?:)

Momof3girls said...

I hate when stuff like that happens. I was having some problems last night with a pillow. I told satan to go away and leave me alone. He did, because I got the pillow finished and it turned out great!
Happy sewing!

Rachel's Quilts said...

I hate days like that. It's looking good though. Glad you were able to make it work.

Lee said...

Being innovative and able to work through the 'faults' shows a very talented and capable mind :)

And your project is still looking great!

Janet O. said...

Good save! Sometimes I just have to walk away from something for a few days because every time I touch it I seem to be doing it wrong. I need a cool down period.

Sarah said...

Yup - problems always seem to come in threes. Thankfully you came up with a decent solution for making do after the cutting mistake. I hope you took notes in case there are more strips to cut for rest of the top. Looking good!

Vivian said...

Sounds like a trying day. But you did a great job improvising.

Kate said...

Your solution looks terrific. Great thinking on your feet.