Friday, January 06, 2012

travel = handwork . . .

Todd and I are in Birmingham today to sit in the "golden ticket seats" at the Rick & Bubba Show. I'm so excited . . . I cannot wait!
We've listened to the guys for years. Their show is syndicated and heard all over the place, including Alaska! The guys are hilarious ... and we're kind of hoping, since it's a Friday and the BCS bowl game is on Monday, that maybe, just maybe Lou Holtz will make an appearance. Haha!

I've been trying to get tickets for ages ... they're free, but they go FAST!

After the show, we are heading down the road to Gardendale First Baptist Church.

Todd is going to interview the pastor there for his 100 Pastor Project. While Todd conducts his interview, I plan on working on stitching down the connecting strips on one of the rows of The Pineapple Quilt. This is my UFO project that needs to be finished for January.

Each block is 18" square, so the row is about 6' wide. If you're not familiar with the quilt as you go (QAYG) method, it's very simple and finishes quickly.

In the above picture, you can see that I've machine attached the cover strip much like the first side of a binding is attached. That's done on both sides (see below photo) ... with the strips sewn on the opposing blocks. (I.e., the strip above is machine stitched to the red block on the front and will fold over and be hand stitched onto the front of turquoise block. The second strip is machine stitched to the back of the turquoise block--which is the dark blue--and then folded over and hand stitched to the back of the red block--which is the purple.) Then once the strips are attached, the two blocks are butted up against each other and zig-zag stitched together.

Once the strip is hand stitched down (like applique or binding, with tiny, hidden stitches), it will cover the zig-zag stitches that connect the block and look like sashing.
So today may be a long day, but I'll have plenty to keep me occupied while I wait. Tomorrow I'll be back in the quilt room, ready to continue working on Ellie's Got My Heart quilt!

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

Okay, with the quilting as you go, can you do this with any quilt that has blocks? I have a quilt pattern that has separate blocks throughout the entire quilt. Do I make the blocks and then quilt each one and sew them together? If so, that's where I don't understand. How do I sew them together to make them look good and like they were quilted the normal way? Would I need to use the same exact backing for each quilt block or would it look bad to use different fabric for the backing on each block?

Pat said...

Have a great time at the show and with your stitching afterwards. I took a QAYG class one time and did well, but it was just a small piece...have never done it with blocks that need to be attached and yet I've seen it done and the results were wonderful. Maybe someday.....

Sarah said...

Sounds like a busy day with lots of exciting stops. Have a great day!

Lee D said...

that is a great busy day...entertainment and stitching!

Barbara F. said...

Enjoy the show and I hope you get to see that fellow. You are really making great progress on your January UFO! xo

Judy D in WA said...

Hope you are having a blast. I'll have to search them out and listen. Love your UFO, hope it's almost finished. :)

Michelle said...

Have fun!

Editfolt said...

it looks good. The colors are beautiful.

rubyslipperz said...

I'm quite a fan of the QAYG method. It's a bit easier to maneuver smaller sections.

Its the way I learned to do my very first quilt in 1979. We learned by hand piecing and hand quilting. =) ...and quilt-as-you-go.

Thanks for the Great tutorial...seeing is so much better than reading directions...for me anyway

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Mary said...

I had been wondering how that QAYG technique worked. Thanks for sharing. This post brought back memories of our 18 years in Birmingham.