Thursday, January 05, 2012

rulers and grandkids . . .

Yesterday was a day of rulers and projects for my grandbabies (two of my favorite things). First I pulled out my June Tailor Fancy Fleece ruler . . .

And I finished up Sawyer's fleece hat!

This was so much fun to make ... and so easy! I used the ruler to cut the triangles and the wavy strips for the pom-pom up top.

Less than 45 minutes! Gosh I hope it fits his little head. LOL!

And then I pulled out my June Tailor Shape Cut ruler . . .

Because -- YIKES -- I haven't yet made a quilt for Ellie. Partly because this time Joc didn't have me make all of the crib bedding and what she got included a quilt, so there wasn't the need for me to make her a quilt that matched everything. But then I saw this baby quilt that Michelle at Michelle's Romantic Tangle had done, and I fell in love with it. So after a couple of quick e-mail exchanges with Michelle, I pulled a couple dozen different pink, purples, and blues and started cutting 3" squares.

Michelle used a solid white as her border fabric, but I had this Kona Medium Pink that I want to use. It's the fabric we used--along with this darling pink and white--for the nursery curtains.

Isn't it sweet?! We also used the combo to make a cute little accent pillow, too.

So, here's as far as I got. Well, not really ... I've got about half of it pieced.

The hearts will show up better (I hope) when the solid pink is bordering all the piecing. There are some really nostalgic pieces of fabric; I used three different purples from Joc's wedding quilt, some blue and violet fabric and a dark pink fabric I'd used for a sister's craft day, before Todd and I got married (sixteen years ago). I also included some of the print from the nursery curtains, and some from the blocks I made for my mom's Grand Hands quilt.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to do like Michelle and use the halved and quartered 9-patches or the solid Kona Pink around the edges. I'm leaning to the solid ... just for time's sake! This baby will need a quilt from her Neesey next week!!!

Linking up with Katherine's Corner and her Favorite Things blog hop! :)

:)

20 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

The fabrics you chose are beautiful. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Happy sewing!

Jocelyn said...

I had NO idea this was even in the works!! Wow!!! It looks so beautiful already-- I'm sure Ellie will love it! :)

C. Joy said...

I see the hearts! Looking forward to seeing the finished blankie.

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

I LOVE that fleece hat! Denise, you should know that one of my goals this year is the develop my sewing abilities--which is pretty much learning how to do it from scratch hahaha!

Pat said...

That quilt will look terrific with the solid pink framing your scrappy hearts...and how nice to use fabrics that have some sentimental meaning!!! Be sure to show us Sawyer wearing his new hat, okay?

Lee D said...

using up bits and pieces of fabric make up quilting. I love when I am using them, reflecting back to what I made with it before. Great memories usually. You will have it done in no time!

Paula said...

You must be overflowing with excitement! A new grandchild in a week! I can feel your excitement and I am excited for you. Can't wait to meet Ellie. What a beautiful name. She will love the quilt. It is awesome and has so much love going into it.
Hugs

Paula said...

OH! I can't wait to see Sawyer in his new hat. It is just to cute!
More hugs!

Cathy said...

Aren't grandbabies wonderful? They give us a reason to make all those things we would have made our own kids, if we'd known about them, and had the time. The hat is wonderfully cut. And I must confess to being totally drawn to anything girly pink. I don't have to tell you to have fun, because I can see you already are.

Barbara F. said...

That hat is too cute. I can't wait for the photo of Sawyer wearing it. Ellie is going to be joining such a lovely family. xo

Michelle said...

Use the pieced triangles -- you only have to make three more nine patches, so it doesn't take much time at all. And it'll be so much cuter than the plain ones!

Mary said...

Good Luck getting the heart quilt all finished up before Ellie's arrival! You are so lucky to have them close enough to cuddle and see so often. I'm feeling a Grandchild hug deficit today- wish I had time to go and roadtrip...

Editfolt said...

I have never seen such an interesting edge.
Very good for the curtain, the colors are beautiful.
Guess what, yesterday received a package into which the books were.
You paid a lot to me to understand what you say!
Quilted with a very nice book. I chose what I want to sew a lot.

Sarah said...

I'm sure both Sawyer and Ellie will love their gifts!

Lee said...

Too cute on the hat, I can picture it on Sawyer's head. I saw that quilt at Michele's recently and thought it would be a great one to make; love that you're incorporating all those 'memorable' fabrics. You'll have to make sure to include a note telling about those things that can be kept for the future when the quilt gets stored away for her babies :)

Anne said...

Denise,
Love your site! I'm stopping by as part of Thursdays Favorite Things Blog Hop and I'm so glad I did! I'll be back and I want to wish you a wonderful New Year!
Many Blessings,
Anne

Kate said...

Very cute quilt!

Chris said...

The little hat is adorable and I love the colours in the quilt. I'm a newbie quilter so very much in awe of your work. Just enjoying a cuppa and hopping from Katherine's Corner. Cheers now following on Twitter and here.

big B said...

That hat is so cute! I love the colors you have for the quilt - I'm looking forward to see the completed quilt!

Katherines Corner said...

cute,cute,cuteness!Thank you for participating in the Thursday Favorite things hop and for sharing it with your readers. I hope you made some new bloggy friends. Hoping your weekend is a sweet one xo P.S. did you enter the pink poodle giveaway?