Tuesday, January 10, 2012

the flip side . . .

May I make a confession? I've never pieced the back of quilt I've made. Ever. With the exception of the quilts I've made in the quilt-as-you-go method, all my quilts have had whole-cloth backs.

Until now!!! I wasn't sure what I wanted to do on the back of Ellie's quilt. At first I thought I wanted to do it in flannel or minky, but I didn't have enough of anything in my stash, and I really, strongly wanted this quilt to be made with fabrics I had on hand. So I decided to piece it (yikes!) with the leftover fabrics from the nursery.

Tah-dah!! When I'd first seen the pink and white fabric Joc had selected for the curtain panels, I fell in love with it immediately! It made me think of a fancy, gilded bird cage ... which was the perfect compliment to the exotic birds in the fabric that was part of her nursery bedding. So I pieced the back to give that look of the birds in the cage, bordered by that beautiful solid pink.

Here's a shot from the nursery of the pillows, the lampshade and the curtains. The quilt will be perfect in this room!

I will bind it with this dark purple piece leftover from Joc's wedding quilt.

Can you see the hearts in it?! It's just perfect for this quilt!! I'm so excited ... I can't wait to get quilting on it!

And I can't let this post go without acknowledging my new favorite number . . .

ROLL TIDE!!!

(And happy Tuesday!)

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Diane said...

I've only started piecing backings in the last year or two maybe. It's a great way to use up yardage.

Mary said...

I prefer not to piece backings, but when I do I always feel it adds interest to a quilt. Great football game!

Pat said...

LOVE the pieced backing. I have done them more and more lately. Today is a GREAT day, isn't it??? :-)

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

I love those fabric choices!!

Coloradolady said...

This is so pretty!! I love the back!! I seem to always do pieced backs, I did one this last year with a whole cloth backing and it was just not as fun as a pieced back to me....your fabric choices are great. I love them.

Paula said...

The pieced back looks very nice. I have never done one. The quilt is/will be beautiful.
Enjoy your very exciting day.
Congrats to your team also! Roll Tide!
Hugs

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love that bird fabric! Nice selection for piecing, an great binding choice. I piece the backs of baby, juvinile, fun quilts - my traditional/heritage quilts all get whole backs.

Barbara F. said...

I love your favorite new number, it's my birthday number. :) xo

C. Joy said...

Great game -eventually - I was afraid there would not be a touchdown. I've had to add strips to the back to make the backing wide enough. Yours looks like a work of art. Great job. Enjoy this time.

Rachel's Quilts said...

The back looks good. Love the bird fabric.

Quiet Quilter said...

I have pieced a few quilts...The only detriment I have had was that I handquilt, and sometimes I can get carried away with the back, which means areas of "very hard to get needle through" fabric...They have turned out well, however... Your's look great!