Wednesday, January 25, 2012

an exercise in binding . . .

 I try to learn something or add a new skill to my quilting with each quilt I make.  Ellie's quilt was no different.  With Ellie Has My Heart, I decided to play with a new toy ... my binding tool by TQM.  I purchased it in Knoxville last summer, at the AQS show, but I haven't used it yet.  I've bound a couple of projects, but either they were too small or I forgot about it until it was too late. 
Anyway, this time I remembered I had it and how frustrating the two meeting ends of the binding always are to me.  From my first quilt, I've just always fit the beginning of my binding into the end and stitched it down that way.  But it's so bulky and it irritates me to have to do that.  When I saw the binder tool demonstrated at the show, I knew it was perfect for me!  

The thing is, you have to remember you're going to use it before you stitch your binding onto your quilt.  You have to mark a 12" space on your quilt edge and start and stop your binding on those marks, leaving 10" of extra binding at both ends to work with.
The binding tool has lines on it to indicate where you mark your left and right sides and the diagonal line for cutting.  There's even a little notch which helps you match up your two sides for pinning and sewing.

Then stitch up using a 1/4" seam . . .

Press down the seam and fold . . .

And voila, you can't even tell where my binding begins and ends now!
It was very easy to use (once I had it figured out) and did a marvelous job.  And I'd give clearer instructions here, except there's really no need.  I did a search for a video tutorial -- it had been a tad long since I'd seen the live demo and I couldn't quite figure it out -- and the video demo done by The Missouri Star Quilt Co. is well done and made short work of the explanation.  
I was so pleased with how the binding looked.!  I won't be forgetting about it the next time I bind a quilt, that's for sure! 

My Ellie girl seems to be well-pleased with the binding job too . . .
What a sweetheart!

:)

18 left a comment . . .:

Shelly said...

That is so adorable and sweet. Why wouldn't she be able to be so comfy in a quilt made with so much love?

Momof3girls said...

She is so precious and wrapped up in a blanket of absolute love. No wonder she can sleep peacefully.

Have you ever used a rotary cutting machine? I have one and can't seem to get it to cut my strips. It will cut and skip, cut and skip. It's fairly new and since it's not cutting all the strips right, it's much easier to cut strips by hand. Any suggestions?

I can't wait to see what you are going to make next.
Have a blessed day!

Asiyah said...

Aahhh! So stinkin' cute...and the quilt is too. =)

I've never heard of that binding tool but may have to check into it since joining the ends is my least favorite part of quilting.

Editfolt said...

What a sweetheart!
Sweet baby!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Ellie is so adorable. Glad she loves her quilt.

Jean said...

That last picture made me squee... baby snores!

I have that tool. I forget how to use it each time.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I use my 3.5" square the same way to cut my bindings. Then press that seam open - repress the binding flat to edge and finish off. Ohhh, sweet baby!!

Janet O. said...

Gorgeous little girl. And I bet she can't even tell where the binding started or ended--nor does she care. But it looks like that tool does a slick job. : )

Pat said...

Binding is one of the things at which I am actually good...and my beginning and ending point is always hard to find. Now if I could only learn to do free-motion quilting even half as well.... *sigh* Ellie is so sweet and looks SO comfy with her quilt!!!

Cathy said...

I can't say it enough, that she is just so sweet. She looks so petite and delicate. It will be interesting to see if she stays that way, as she grows. Jocelyn must be over the moon, and having a hard time putting her down. How could you not want to just hold and snuggle with her.

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing the Binding Tool and pictures of your Precious Grand-daughter. She's dreaming of the angels!

Linda in Calif. said...

Awe!! She is so sweet. I bet you all could just stare at her sleeping for hours. Babies are such a blessing. I don't have a problem with binding - but it's always nice to know an easier way. I'll keep my eye out for this tool.

Michelle said...

She is such a cutie!

Do you lose 10" of binding at each end using that technique, or are you leaving it loose so you can work with it?

Sarah said...

I think she definitly approves!

Lee said...

I may have to check into that tool! That aspect of adding the binding is one I always have to sit and really think through as I'm doing it. My first quilts had the bulky overlapped area too and I always hated it. I forget who, many years ago, I saw with a video online, but I'd tried it and it was nice! Each time though, I have to really think because I didn't bookmark the video, and wow, a tool would always be handy!

Are sleeping babies just the sweetest images on earth? I remember when my babies were that age and I'd just sit and stare at the remarkableness of God's creation.

Quilter Kathy said...

That tool looks like fun.
But that gorgeous baby would completely captivate me and I'd never get another thing done while she was around!

Mary said...

Ellie is such a sweet girl!

Kate said...

Such a sweetie. She looks good all wrapped up in pink.