Monday, January 09, 2012

put the design wall to bed . . .

I'm really excited about my design space this morning. I've made some great progress over the last week and things are moving along.

This project wasn't even in my thoughts last Monday. But when I saw it on Michelle's blog, I fell in love with it and just knew I wanted to make it for my darling Ellie. I finished piecing the top last night:
I love how this turned out!! I also really like the sashing in the pink, too. I was worried the hearts wouldn't stand out nicely, but I think they do. Since I'd used a lot of scraps of fabric with sentimental value, I wanted to use some from Everett's nursery fabrics, even though they didn't really fit the color scheme. But I didn't want to do that with out checking with Joc and making sure it was okay. I was so tickled when she was so pleased with the idea.
Now I've got to piece a back (which will probably be all from the fabrics we used for her curtains and one more of Everett's owls) and decide how I'm going to quilt it. It won't be ready by the time Ellie is born, but it will be well on its way. All of a sudden I had the urgent need to make sure there was an Ellie quilt in the works before she was born. I can't explain why I couldn't do it any earlier, except to say that I just couldn't. This will be called Ellie Has My Heart. :)

The other thing on my ... mattress top ... this morning is The Pineapple Quilt's center (January's UFO project). These are the two pieces I've got to work with next.
I'll have to trim the center piece and then sash it in the red (both pieces are already quilted).

I love the center. I'm pretty certain that it's my all-time favorite piece of work.
I hand appliqued and quilted it (unlike the blocks and the sashing, which I machine quilted). I used a very colorful variegated thread for the quilting in the black, so it really pops!! Looking at it makes me *smile*!

It's appropriate that I've got it all laid out on my bed . . . I'll need to keep it up here (like this) to figure out how much needs to be trimmed off the center block. As much as I love the center, you can understand why I'll be anxious about cutting on it. One wrong snip . . . LOL!
I'll have my hands full for the rest of the month, so I really hope I have some time to work on this and get it finished! It's just so gorgeous, I can't wait to have it on my bed instead of that yucky old brown thing that came with the RV!

Be sure to stop by and check out what others have up on their design spaces this happy Monday morning over at Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times!

:)

25 left a comment . . .:

Pat said...

LOVE your Ellie quilt top and also the pineapple center is WONDERFUL....that whole top is going to be stunning!!! I love how you have some of the owl fabrics incorporated into Ellie's quilt......I think that is a very fitting thing to do.

Barbara B said...

Love Ellie's quilt, so girly!

Diane said...

your a busy lady-love the pineapple center, hope you find time to get it all together!

Momof3girls said...

I love Ellie's quilt top!!! It is so pretty! Love the hearts! I'm partial to hearts, since I have a Valentine baby, well, she's not a baby anymore, but will be 20 on Valentine's Day.

Did you sew Ellie's quilt together on the machine? That was pretty quick. I can't wait to see the completely finished product.
Blessings! Happy Sewing!

Mary said...

Ellie's quilt is so sweet. You made a great choice on design and fabric.

Bonnie said...

You've gotten a lot done this week. Ellie's quilt is darling. I need to go take a look at the link you provided.

And, wow, that is one gorgeous quilt you are finishing. It will look so much better in your bedroom then whatever came with the RV for sure!

Jean said...

The pineapple quilt is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Love it! I really, really love it!!!!!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I love how some quilts just 'have' to be made immediately and this one is especially precious! Your addition of fabrics from Everett's nursery is perfect and Ellie's quilt will no doubt become treasured. Your pineapple block is lovely and I love how the black just makes the colors pop - gorgeous!

Teri said...

The hearts for Ellie are cute and I love the colors in your large quilt, it will look great on your bed when you finish it.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Your heart quilt is wonderful, especially with the sentimental fabrics in it. Sometimes you're waiting for the right project even though you don't really know that's what you're waiting on :)

Just remember to measure twice, no 5 times before cutting your gorgeous center block! Scary!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Cute quilt for Ellie! The pineapple quilt is just super - how exciting to see it all laid out.

Rachel's Quilts said...

Your quilt for Ellie is sweet.
Good luck with your January UFO. It looks great.

Paula said...

Ellie's quilt is beautiful. This will be an exciting week for you. I can't wait to hear the news. I love it that you included a piece from Everett's nursery. How special.
Wow! your pineapple quilt is going to be gorgeous. It sure will beat the "yucky old brown" thing! You bedroom will have so much color in it now. How cool is that?
So, my friend, take a deep breath and enjoy your exciting week. I am so happy for all of you.
Blessing to all
Hugs

Michelle said...

Your hearts are looking great!

Asiyah said...

What a cute design. Ellie's going to love it!

Mary said...

Perfect name for Ellie's quilt. Have fun Quilting it as you anticipate her arrival. Is there a reason the corners on the center are two different colors? Or is that just lighting?

Editfolt said...

I love Pineapple Quilt's . Beautiful colors.

Kathie said...

The hearts definitely stand out, how cute.

Quilty Conscience said...

Last week I wrote about how much I liked the Pineapples and now...this week...you have made this cute pink quilt. I too had marked the pattern as a favorite. Toni

Connie said...

What a sweet quilt for Ellie and I just love your pineapple center....the whole quilt is just so beautiful!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love Ellie's quilt Denise. We did a mystery quilt in guild a couple of years ago and it turned out to be hearts. It was very scrappy and oh so cute. And huge. :) I had no idea it was going to be so big! I gave it to my niece, who also has my heart! blessings, marlene

Kate said...

You've been busy. Love Ellie's quilt. Good progress with your Pineapple quilt. Hope you do get some time to stitch this week.

AnnieO said...

Cute hearts and love the title of the quilt--babe in arms is all it needs!

Glad your pineapple quilt is gonna be the belle of the RV!

Agnes B Bullock said...

I so want to make both of those quilts! Are their patterns still available? (am a novice quilter but am looking forward to a challenge!0

Sarah said...

What a sweet quilt for Ellie!! I somehow missed that the owls were for Everette - that must have been before we became friends. How nice to include them in Ellie's quilt and the nursery.