Friday, October 21, 2011

fascinating evening . . .

But before I get too far into last night's guild meeting and our guest speaker, I thought I'd continue my trend and share a cuter-than-cute pumpkin project I played with yesterday . . .

Aren't these little guys darling?! They were super easy and super fast to put together (thirty minutes per pumpkin, tops -- and that was hand sewing). I've found a number of tutorials for fabric pumpkins this season, but when I saw the one at Craft Buds, I knew it was one I wanted to try. Her tutorial is very concise and well-structured, and quite frankly, I thought her fabric pumpkins looked the best of any I'd seen in a tutorial.

I wasn't disappointed! I still had plenty of my Pumpkins Gone Wild and it's such fun fabric, I thought it would be cute as pumpkins! I think it was perfect. And now there's a pumpkin for Sawyer and a pumpkin for Eleanor (or her mommy, for now)!

Just call me the pumpkin queen. But don't call me late for my guild meeting!!

I was so giddy to be out, I had to take a self-portrait. This is me, happy to be out and on my way to a quilt guild meeting! LOL! Yes, I'm goofy. And no, it's no coincidence that I'm wearing pumpkin-orange. I'm also wearing candy corn earrings and a candy corn necklace. Hey, 'tis the season!

I got there last night and came in the back entrance -- because it's the only way I can *roll* in -- and saw the line up front and almost didn't go get my name badge raffle ticket! But I managed to roll through the crowd and sidled over to one of hospitality directors, who slid me a ticket without making me stand in line!

SO glad I did that! Because guess whose ticket was drawn for the Gadget Girl's draw?! Yours truly, thank you very much! And it was a good one, too! Wonder clips -- I've heard a number of quilters say how much better they worked on securing binding ... but they're so expensive. I was tickled to win a bag of 25!

Our lecturer was quilt historian, Sue Reich, and she spoke to us about quilting during the WW2 era. It really was a fascinating evening. I was expecting more of a trunk show, but the majority of her quilts are on exhibit at the Huntsville Museum of Art. She has a wonderful power point presentation, and I took a couple of photos off the screen . . .

I loved this. Yeah, it's a knitting reference, but still, c'mon!

And the whole room broke into a spontaneous cackle when this image hit the screen.

Another result of the war is the slacks-for-women epidemic. LOL! I think WW2 and the sacrifices women had to make on behalf of their country did more than anything else to push the cause of women's rights/equality for women in this country. It literally forced women out of the home and into the workforce. And after the war when the men returned home and to their jobs, women weren't ready to just go back home. In a way, I also think it cost our country. But I won't open that can of worms right now. ;)

This is an image of a "V" ship; they were used to transport food and supplies to troops overseas.

There are only one of these ships left; it's in Maine. Women built these at the rate of one per day. One per day?!? WOW!

Everything was saved, salvaged, re-used, and made over. This beautiful war-bride's dress??

Made from her groom's parachute. Pretty incredible, huh?

Ms. Reich shared with us that with some exceptions (victory quilts, star quilts, and flag quilts) it was very difficult to tell if a quilt was from the WW2 era, just based on looks.

This quilt was a perfect example of that! Look how funky it is! Would you ever think this was a WW2 quilt?? Ms. Reich also shared that after the war, quilts from this era had been tucked into trunks and attics all over the U.S. and Canada, and were now just being discovered as baby boomers went through their parent's things. She also noted that after WW2, women set aside quilting and it truly was a dying art until the craft was resurrected again at the bi-centennial.

This image is of the famous feuding family, the Hatfields and McCoys -- long after the feud had been settled.

The women of the two families are working together on a V for Victory quilt.

I loved this star . . .

And the signature on it, "MADE FEB 1944 BY MOTHER". How sweet!

Sue did have some quilts with her to display . . .

This particular quilt was made from silk "sweetheart" pillow tops that were available as souvenirs to send home from bases around the U.S. and world, from sailors and soldiers to their parents/sweethearts.

I loved this little blue star banner quilt . . .

Someone suggested that the template for this little sailor may have been the little guy on the Cracker Jacks box! I think she may be right!

I loved this victory quilt . . . see how VICTORY is spelled out on the two diagonals?



And this beautiful quilt top -- the red, white and blue pieces appliqued onto a peach colored sheet.

And while you don't necessarily think of ""red, white, blue and peach", it really worked!

We also had several of our members who brought in show and tell quilts from the WW2 era.

The member who brought in this quilt shared that she recalls her mother saying that she hoped this was the last quilt she'd ever make. She hoped that after the war she could afford to buy her quilts! She went on to tell us that it was indeed the last quilt her mom made, and that the quilt was dear to her not only because of that, but because it was made up from scraps and pieces that her mom had from their clothes. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

I think my favorite story of the night may have centered around this airplane quilt.

It is owned by one of our former guild presidents, Michele. Michele told us how she'd found this quilt on e-bay several years ago and entered a bid on it. She wanted it badly enough (she's a former Army pilot and very much a collector of Americana) that she "sniped" the bid and won it at the last second.

Michele (on the right) said it wasn't long after she won the bid on the quilt that she got an e-mail from some woman named Sue Reich (on the left), saying she'd been the other bidder for the quilt, and that she was doing a lecture and wondered if Michele would let her borrow the quilt for the display! Michele said her initial reaction was along the lines of, "Yeah right, no way!" But after doing a little research, she realized who exactly Sue was! How funny is that?! There was a picture of Michele's quilt in Sue's presentation.

All in all, it was a great night and I enjoyed being around my quilty friends for the evening. Today already promises to be a gorgeous day -- sunny, bright, clear, and cool! Todd's on shift and it's a Friday Night Sew In -- have you signed up yet?!? For me, it'll be time to work on my Snow Buddies! Joc is headed this way and I'm not sure what kind of trouble we're going to find. It will probably have something to do with . . . everyone say it with me now . . .

P U M P K I N S !

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Jean said...

more pumpkins...LOL


PUMPKIN PATCH IN THE RV PARK!!!!!

I think the airplane quilt is my favorite, too! but that victory one is pretty cool.

LuAnn said...

I love your pumpkins. It sounds like your speaker at guild was interesting. I love hearing about all the history from that era. Glad you were able to go. I never did get to the Huntsville Museum either...it was probably downtown?

Paula said...

Your pumpkins are great.
So glad you got to get all decked out and get out for the evening. You looked lovely.
What an interesting meeting you had. I so wish I could have been there also. Love all the old quilts.
Congrats on your win. I have seen those clips but as you said, they are quite pricey. Enjoy them. Oh, I have a quilt to bind..can I borrow them? I can try them out for you and make sure they do the job. LOL!
Hugs

Editfolt said...

My God! These pumpkins are very pleasing to me !!!!!!! Hungary We are not normally make these pumpkins! Very nice!

Sarah said...

Looks like you had a fantastic time - only to be topped off by winning the gadget raffle. Sounds like you get a ticket for having your name tag on...great idea.

Cathy said...

Sounds like a fascinating presentation. I am a history buff, so it was quite fun to read about your guild meeting. And, I LOVE your pumpkins.

Cathy said...

Sounds like a fascinating presentation. I am a history buff, so it was quite fun to read about your guild meeting. And, I LOVE your pumpkins.

Love Bears All Things said...

Great post. I enjoyed the guild meeting.
Mama Bear

Lee said...

What a terrific post. Love the pumpkins (and I'm not a 'Hallowe'en' fan...I had to force myself to even buy an orange shirt a couple years ago), and the pictures from your guild meeting. As both a genealogist (think history) and quilter, that would have been a truly enjoyable meeting to be at. (and thank you too for your prayers, re: my blog post) :)

Pat said...

GREAT story about the airplane quilt! I love those pumpkins you made, too. Be sure to let us know how you like those binding clips, okay?

Rachel's Quilts said...

Looks like a great guild meeting.
Thanks for the link to the pumpkin tutorial. Think my kids would have fun making some.

Sue said...

Hi Denise! My computer has some sort of glitch right now, so I could not access your email address:(, but I just want to let you know that you won the Halloween Giveaway on my blog! CONGRTAS! Please email me ASAP so that I can get it off to you right away(tomorrow)!
P.S. I love your pumpkins!

Sue (munchkin munchies)
suesue121255@hotmail.com

Connie said...

What a great photo of you! Love the pumpkins you made too! It looks like your guild meeting was very interesting.

Linda in Calif. said...

Wow! I love hearing about your WW2 meeting. Just fascinating! I love that you are wearing a pumpkin colored blouse. (Too funny with all your pumpkin stuff. And you are really pretty)