Monday, October 24, 2011

design in mind . . .

Because that's where most of my designing is taking place this Monday. In my head. First I've been kind of playing around with a design for a pre-printed label to order (or maybe to print on fabric -- I haven't decided yet) and have on hand for a quick and easy way to label any craft project that I do, particularly if I'm giving it away.


I'd only use the copyright/year if I was printing them myself! If there was a way I could incorporate a smiley face in there somewhere -- perhaps in place of the year? -- I sure would. I feel like that's kinda me. :)

Finally, I finished hand-quilting the big holly leaves in the corners (and the grouping in the center) on this Christmas table topper!! Do you know when I started this thing?

It was Monday, August 30, 2010, that I first posted a concept drawing of this bad boy. In fact, it was this design that got me seeing the benefits of quilt designing software, specifically EQ7, and I ended up getting that great software for my birthday, less than two months later! I created the block and got to sewing, and long before Christmas, this was pieced.

Yes. That means it's taken me nearly eleven months now to hand quilt this a little here and a little there. It's still not finished, but all I've got left is to stitch-in-the-ditch around the two borders. I'm going to use Sulky's green holoshimmer. It's what I used to stitch-in-the-ditch around the green blocks in the center. It has a pretty wonderful effect . . . you don't outright see HOLOSHIMMER GREEN shouting at you, but you catch glimpses and whispers of it, and I like that effect. I may will finish this up this week. Then all I've got to do is decide on a binding. Any thoughts? All that's coming to my mind is to use the dark green that I used in the piecing.

The good news? I think I'm starting to like it again. There was a good piece of time I didn't. Phew, glad that's over!

Aaaaand I've got these cute little redwork patterns from Sew Happy Me all printed, ready to trace and stitch. I missed downloading week 2 -- I couldn't figure out how I missed it until I realized it came out the day after my surgery. I'll cut myself a little slack on that one! (I think she'll have them for sale in her shop in November -- I may try and get it then.) Anyway, she's been sharing a new design every Friday. There are two more left and she's shared that she's saved her two favorites for last!

They're so dear -- I thought it might be kind of fun to mix and match these with some of the stars from the Fat Quarter Stars Quilt Along (gosh, that's a mouthful, isn't it?) over at Moose on the Porch Quilts. Since there are seven total of the embroidered blocks and I missed one (leaving me with six), and since I'm doing the FQSQA in Christmas fabrics (there's twelve total blocks of that one -- I'd just use six and save the other six for something else), perhaps I can mix and match these two "alongs" and have something pretty and unique. I don't know for sure -- it's just a thought, but I like the idea of it.

So, as I said up front, today it's all in my head. Now if you want to see some pretty fantastic concrete, real-as-it-gets designs wall, head on over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times.

Happy, happy Monday!! (And look -- NO PUMPKINS!)

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Mama Spark said...

I will look forward to seeing what you do with all those combined blocks!

Jean said...

bwahahahaahaha.... I have some of those "I don't like them right now" projects. So on the backburner they sit... ho hum!

I know come winter (and snow) I'll be pulling them out for something to do.

Gari said...

I like your table topper. I think I would bind it in the red plaid. I usually like different colored binding but the plaid has so much movement that it would also look good on the edge.

I do a lot of mind quilting, too. Sometimes I think my hands need to take a break and my mind is setting them up to get back to work.

Bonnie said...

I'm for the red for the binding also. I think the green might draw the eye away from the center too much. Hum, I need to look at the Sew Happy Me site. I may be collecting them too... can't remember but thanks for the reminder -- I had a busy week last week. And, honestly, I won't tell you that I am (not) hand quilting a quilt from about 10+ years ago....

One other thought... why don't you post your blog address in case someone wants to see more of your work. Just an idea... unless you aren't interested in dozens of people begging you to make something else for them... TEE HEE. B.

Cathy said...

I think I'd use the dark green as binding, just a a final contrast and a "it's finished here" and give the edge definition type thing. And those redwork designs....... depending on their finished size, you could border them up, or snowball them, or something, so that they become alternate squares in your FQSQAL. That would look really cool, and give you 2 quilt projects in one.

Deanna said...

Whew! What a lot of lovely work you have going on.

Quilt Hollow said...

I hope somebody reads your blog that can come through for you with that missing pattern. :-) It will be fun watching your progress.
HEY...missed the pumpkins!!!!

Alycia said...

I like your idea of binding with the dark green... nice quilt. and great patience you have to keep at it!

Quilter Kathy said...

Isn't it funny how we fall in and out of love with our projects?!? I love those stitchery blocks and hope to make them before Christmas too!

Chris said...

It takes me forever to hand quilt. I love to do it, but never seem to find the time :(

Barbara said...

What a nice group of Christmasy projects.

Kate said...

I'm in the dark green camp on the binding for your lovely table topper. Congrats on being so close to finishing the hand quilting, that is a labor of love!