Monday, October 31, 2011

ghouls, creepy-crawlies, and yoda . . .

Gosh, I couldn't let this day pass without a nod to the festivities! When Todd and I were headed home, we stopped to pick up our mail at the post office, which is in "downtown" New Market. New Market was originally the county seat of Madison and has been around for a long time -- it may have been one of the first towns in Madison County, so "downtown" (which I say tongue-in-cheek -- downtown consists of the post office, a restaurant, a handful of churches, a dozen historic homes, the VFD, the senior center, and the BBQ place--which is really on the edge of downtown) is full of homes that were established in the 1800's.

This home is located right behind the post office and is one of those that have been around for a long time. Evidently the original owners were back to see how things were going . . .

There was a lot going on in this yard -- I'm glad we were there to see it during daylight hours!!

Cousin Al, just hangin' around the yard.

I had to laugh at this ol' gal up in her rocker on the porch . . .

I don't know if you can see it or not, but her scarf announces her as a 'Bama fan! Roll Tide! She needed a hat like I had!! I need stockings like hers. ;)

But wait . . . what in the world this over to the left of the yard??

Oh. My. Talk about endless love . . .

Not even death can part these two. *shudder*

From ghouls, we go to creepy-crawlies . . .

Seriously. Aren't these red salamanders gorgeous? Yeah they are -- in a cup, held far away!! These came from Crawdad Creek just over yonder. Boy they are bright red!!

Todd and I drove up on this fellow this afternoon, inside the camp.

He was so content sunning himself, he was hard-pressed to move off the asphalt for us to pass! He did raise his head and watch us go by, but the hot pavement felt too good for him to do much else.

And how about them pumpkins?!?

This was my Happy Halloween text this morning from my Sawyer-boo!

And here's my little guy all decked out and ready to go!

I *love* how he's clasping his hands. Too funny! I'm not sure about the face -- whether he was saying "Cheese!" or "Get me out of this thing!"

Ummm, Sawyer, I think it's Santa and not Yoda that "lays his finger aside of his nose."

Oh wait -- that's *inside* your nose. Never mind! May the force be with you!

Happy Trick or Treating!

:)

6 left a comment . . .:

Cathy said...

Oh goodness, but he is just sooooooo cute. Maybe he was trying to get his face all scrunched up like Yoda's. I think halloween is dying out, at least around here. Scott went out and bought candy today, but we only had 8 kids show up. Tons of candy left over.

Mary said...

What a fun post. Sawyer is too cute and the decorated house is spectacular. I especially like the newly weds...but you can keep the wild life.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great Halloween House! And little Sawyer looks ready to treat!

LuAnn said...

Sawyer looks adorable. What a great bunch of Halloween decorations, too!

Jean said...

That was definitely a Cheese! Too cute!

Sarah said...

That is quite the yard - much more decorations than around these here parts. Yoda is squeezably adorable!