Tuesday, October 04, 2011

2011 fanfare quilt show (pt. 1)

I have to say that I was pretty pumped about this year's quilt show. I had debated long and hard about entering a quilt, but once I decided, I was ready! Then when I realized my surgery was scheduled for the DAY BEFORE the show started, I was really bummed; but I held onto a hope that perhaps, by Sunday, I might be able to manage it.

Saturday night I was in great spirits. I'd managed to get a shower (and it went a lot more smoothly than I'd imagined it), and I was feeling pretty darn good, all things considering. I was just sure I'd spring out of bed in the morning, be ready for church, and we'd have no problems hitting the quilt show that afternoon.

Boy, was I ever wrong.

So very wrong.

I will spare you the gory details; suffice it to say that I woke up running a low-grade fever Sunday morning and was struggling to hold onto the pain meds. On top of all that I had a terrible headache. Needless to say, instead of "springing" out of bed and getting ready for church, I burrowed back underneath the covers and stayed there pretty much until noon! When I did come back to the land of the living, I felt much better. My headache was mostly gone, my fever was mostly gone, and I'd managed to reconcile my body to the pain meds again. But in my heart of hearts--and as much as I wanted to just go--I knew it wouldn't be a smart move.

And that's when my darling, darling husband agreed to go in my stead, take pictures, and bring me back a program.

I'm telling you, you can't get much more blessed in the husband department than I am. :)

So he went and spent a couple of hours wandering through our quilt show, taking pictures of everything that had a ribbon on it, and of course, my entry. We really do have a guild filled with incredibly talented quilters, and I love being a part of it. With well over 250 guild members, we had 230 quilt entries in our show, as well as a quilted Christmas stocking exhibit and a gingerbread quilt exhibit. Many of our members have had their quilts juried into both AQS shows and the Houston show. Here's just a random sampling of what was there . . .


This wall hanging has actually been featured on my blog before, HERE. Karen M., one of the lovely ladies in my Stitcher's Group, made it.





I'm sure you recognize this pattern, from BunnyHill Designs? I've got them all and some day I'll make this quilt, too! :)





Crazy quilting! I wish I could have gotten a close-up look at the quilting in-between the blocks on this one.


This beautiful piece took the first prize in its category *and* won Best of Show! The creator is Barbara B. She actually headed the quilt show for 2009. She's former military and a wonderful quilting teacher. I've taken several of her courses. I hope some of her quilting brilliance wears off on me!!





I love this sweet Christmas quilt! I'm so glad it won a ribbon so Todd took a picture of it! LOL!


Love the color movement in this one.





Gosh, I just love this one --it's called, Old Fashioned Hospitality, and was another quilt done by Karen M. She took seven ribbons this year!

I'll finish up another round of pictures tomorrow. Y'all come back now, ya' hear?

:)

7 left a comment . . .:

Pat said...

I'll be back...I'm enjoying the show. Your hubby did a good job!!!

Cathy said...

WOW!! WOnderful pics by a wonderful hubby. I totally love the one that is second from the bottom, that looks like sunflowers, from what look like New York Beauty blocks. And you need to make sure you take it very easy, and very slow. Your body needs rest, and lots of sleep in order to heal.

Vivian said...

I'm sorry you missed the quilt show. But your hubby got some great pictures. I really love the Merry Christmas quilt. But, I will not make one, I will not make one, I will not make one. At least, maybe not. lol

scraphappy said...

Sorry you had to miss the show, but having a husband willing to and take photos is a pretty good substitute, sound like you married well:) Beautiful quilts -- so much inspiration!

Deanna said...

Ooooo.....Aaaaa....looks like a good show. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Tina Wright Photography said...

Oh My Sweet Friend... I "sort of" looked for you... knowing that Todd would be "wheeling you around"! I had to rush through it b/c I didn't get there until just before 3:00 on Sunday! Life is just WAY too busy!... but honestly I mostly wanted to go so that I could see the quilt you had entered (take a pict~ which I did!), and support the guild... I wished that I had of had time to gaze about longer. There were some BEAUTIFUL quilts to see! I loved your Quilt btw! and it was so BIG! You did an AWESOME job on it!! BRAVO missy!! :) ... I had another favorite too, it was a smaller (wall hanging), entirely made of Felt... I had never seen anything quite like that before. I was intrigued. The colors were vibrant. Loved it! ...

I'm sending hugs & prayers to you today! I just wanted to take a "minute" this morning & peek at your blog. I hadn't checked in, in a while! I knew I would be blessed, always am by you! ;) ...

You are an amazing woman! (of GOD!) ... He's holding you steadfast in His Arms! Isaiah 26:3 ("Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is fixed on THEE.") ...

LOVE YOU!
Tina :) ...

Jean said...

Hubby's a keeper, btw... you still need your rest. Mama Jeanie says stay put so that you can get out of the casts sooner rather than later...

I really love the crazy quilt. I like that it's not a full-on crazy, but just a little bit.

Me <== crazy