Tuesday, October 25, 2011

button garden cards . . .

I found a great blog ... Hugs from Helen ... and Ms. Helen is into all kinds of stitchery, from embroidery to quilting. And she's got a broad range of techniques, including the Colorque. In fact, I found her when another blogger recommended her book, Faux Applique. Once I got there, I got to looking around, and found a sweet post about a "Button Garden".

They were such cute little postcards and seeing as I have such a jumble of floss . . .


Not to mention tons of fun buttons to play with . . .

(Which, by the way, are all cut off the cards and much more prettily stored in the lovely mason jars I was gifted with!)

I decided to print out a couple out and back-stitched them together!

I backed them with some card stock (with the printed postcard line and the required "POSTCARD" typed in plain site) which I attached with a long back stitch through both cards.

I just figured I had a niece or two who would enjoy getting a fun postcard from their Aunt Denise, and might also enjoy a printout of the project for themselves!

Because it really was a cute and simple project. A great project for stitchers in the making! Plus, as Helen says in her post about attaching the buttons, it's a skill "every teenager needs to learn." LOL! Most definitely!

On a semi-related note, I'd used a little of my birthday morning to buy a 25-pack of a rainbow of DMC floss. I was so disappointed when I got a notice from Amazon that the store that was supposed to fill my order was unable to and so it was cancelled.

When I got the e-mail, I headed back over to Amazon to see if any other store had the same thing. Sure enough, I found the same floss -- for half the price! I was able to get two sets for the same price! It just arrived and there really are some lovely, lovely colors. Though I have a feeling I'm going to need a tad more red. :)

I'm so excited to be able to share this latest ultra sound photo of Miss Eleanor Pearl!

She's got the sweetest little nose! I'm so in love with this little girl. Mommy and baby are both progressing very well. Only thirteen more weeks to go! Whoohoo!!

One last little item . . . I blogged about our fun fish fry with the senior ladies over on our Camp MACOBA blog. There's some lovely photos of the pavilion and fireplace and our darling guests, too, if anyone is interested!

Adieu, adieu, to you and you and you!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Jean said...

Wow, that 3-D ultrasound is cool. What a cutie...

See? you were meant to get 2 for 1. Things happen for a reason.

I suggest putting that postcard in an envelope so they don't tear off the buttons in the machines...

Deanna said...

Great project! Some of these are going to appear at our house. Heaven knows I have the buttons. And floss. And paper. My husband sometimes teases me about my big pile of junk (very neatly stores, thank you), but it surely comes in handy.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Cute cards! I love buttons, and this makes up quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy said...

She is going to be a beauty!!!! And she looks like a she, too, in the ultrasound photo. Cool looking project, those post cards, and fun too. I checked out that website. Are those colouring pencils permanent, do you know? I couldn't find anything that said.

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh that little girl is so cute! I bet you can't wait to hold her. I sure to like your button postcards. They turned out so nice. Really cute project.

Quilt Hollow said...

Oooo......so cool and so sweet little girl photo....someday hopefully I will get a little grandaughter but for now must be patient with boys in college. :-)

Lucky you to score that DMC afterall! Well done!!

Sarah said...

Sew many good things in one post - adorable photo of Eleanor, 2 for 1 deal on thread, quick and easy postcards and a sneak peak into Camp Macoba. Happy Tuesday!

Lee said...

Cute button idea...but I think I'll leave that project in mental storage area for now ;)

Don't you love ultrasound and being able to see God's creation? I'm reminded of Psalm 139:13 "For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb." Awesome!

Connie said...

Wonderful button art! Glad you found a better deal on the thread and I can't believe how clear that ultrasound is! Beautiful!

Pat said...

You have quite a button collection!!!

Pat said...

Oh...and your granddaughter is looking cute!!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Cute idea...and cute grandbaby! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Rachel's Quilts said...

Love the button flowers.
Baby looks great! Love the name (Eleanor is one of my daughter's middle names after my husband's grandmother).

Barb said...

I just lvoe buttons....the modern technology is just amazing...