Saturday, December 08, 2012

a review: fearless daughters of the bible . . .

What first caught my eye about the book Fearless Daughters of the Bible:  What You Can Learn from 22 Women Who Challenged Tradition, Fought Injustice and Dared to Lead, by J. Lee Grady, while I was perusing the available titles?  How about this description from the back of the book:
Christian women are often led to believe they were created inferior to men, destined to play a secondary role.  Proverbs 31 gets morphed into a judgment, the standard against which many feel like frauds or failures.  But the Bible has much more to say about women!
Well yes, I did find that extremely intriguing! I was really excited to get the book and check out the table of contents ... fifteen chapters and some really big names.  Sarah, Miriam, Ruth, Hannah, Esther . . . lots of big names ... and some names I wasn't quite familiar with.  Interesting.

And the first question that got answered was actually the first one I had, when I realized the author was a man . . . why should I read a book for women written by a man?  Yup, page eleven ... the first page of the introduction.  Grady says, "You may wonder why a guy is writing a book for women."  Why yes, yes I did.  "I am asked that question often since I speak at women's events all over the world.  I respond by telling people that I have been drowning in a sea of estrogen for more than two decades.  God put me in a house full of women to show me how much He loves His daughters."  I went on to read that he has four daughters.  And I am the oldest of four daughters.  Okay, here's me moving forward.

Then things got a little dicey for me.  While I can certainly appreciate some of the insight shared, some of what's written sounded a bit far-fetched to me.  In other words, it didn't line up with Scripture as I understood it.  This is a tough call. There are some great words of wisdom, but there's also some questionable materials, too.  I don't believe I'd purchase it, but there are chapters I've enjoyed.  I'd give the book a 2.5 star rating.

I'm more than willing to give you a chance to form your own opinion.  While this was not my cup of tea, I've read several reviewers who raved over it.  If you're interested, leave me a comment saying so and I'll randomly select a winner on Tuesday.

:)
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from River North Fiction by Moody
Publishers as part of their Blogger Review program.  I was not required to write a positive review. 
The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal
Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and
 Testimonials in Advertising.

3 left a comment . . .:

Andee said...

I read "women of the bible" years ago and really enjoyed it..would be curious to see if this is similar! Thanks for the chance!

beaquilter said...

I'd love to read it! I'm doing a quilt block of the week with women of the bible, and one DAUGHTER I think was Leah? or Rachel, I'm so bad with names, anyways she ran away from Laban and took his idols hid them in the saddle bags of the camel she was riding and then lied to him saying she had her period and couldn't get up! ha.... soo personal :-)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Toss my name in the hat.