Monday, December 17, 2012

design on the [shoo] fly . . .

I feel like I haven't had a design wall in ages.  I'm not sure this really qualifies ... it's not really "on the wall" but it is a project I've got to get busy on!  With all the activity of the last two weeks, my sewing time slipped away from me!

The Miniature Quilts magazine to the rescue.  I remembered seeing this darling little piece when I first perused the magazine:
Of course, I don't need the templates that were printed for and I wanted to make it bigger anyway, so I pulled up EQ and went to work.  This is what I came up with . . . 
And here are my fabrics--
I think it will be pretty and it should go together fairly quickly!  What I can decide is if I want the predominant red print as the center squares or the red plaid as the center squares.  Any quick thoughts on it??!  Whichever of the prints I don't use as the shoo fly center, I'll use as the border.

Be sure to head over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and check out all the fun stuff on design walls all over blogland!

:)

18 left a comment . . .:

~Kris~ said...

Since the quilt block pattern is not complex, I would use just one of the fabrics for both the center square and the border. My favorite is the floral.

sophie said...

I would put the plaid in the center of the Shoo Fly block and use it (cut on the bias) for binding.

sophie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mycreativecorner3 said...

I love Christmas plaids and I would use it for the center. I love the idea of cutting it on the bias! This will go togther very quickly. Enjoy!

Cotton Blossom said...

I would put the plaid in the center. I love plaid it always looks like Christmas to me.

Needled Mom said...

It should be a fun project. I would use the plaid as well.

Barbara B said...

I'd use the plaid too. This would be so sweet teeny--what size is yours?

Bonnie said...

I love the idea of the plaid but the center square is the triangles from the four patches .... or it looks like that to me. Unless you mean the center of each of the blocks... duh. I guess it depends if you want it to look sophisticated (use the floral) or more country (use the plaid.) Hope you can squeeze some quilting time in.

Teresa in Music City said...

Add me to those on the plaid train for those center blocks! Love using it as a bias binding too :*) I would use the floral as a nice showy border.

Jean(ie) said...

Plaid center and binding. Love it!

CJ Tinkle said...

This is going to be cute! I like the plaid for the center and bias binding as well.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm with others - plaid centers and then use it for the binding, too.

Mary said...

I'm with the plaid group. Use the other for the backing... Have fun with it. I like shoo-fly/churndash blocks.

Momof3girls said...

Red floral print for the squares and possibly borders.

Gone Country said...

I'm not a quilter (yet!) but I vote for the plaid center and binding and the floral for the backing.

Cute pattern!

Kate said...

I'm also for using the plaid in the center.

Nann said...

Add me to the camp advocating the plaid in the center, floral for the border.

More importantly, a small project that is a quick finish can be extremely satisfying!

Kathy A. said...

Love the colors chosen
I like the predominately red.