Tuesday, December 11, 2012

partying it up . . .

Tonight was our Stitcher's Etc. group Christmas party.  It's always a lot of fun and I so look forward to getting together with these gals!  It's potluck with an ornament exchange -- and we wrap our ornaments in Christmas FQ's!  This was my offering:

Our hostess home this year belonged to Karen . . .
She's definitely the hostess with the mostest!  And her home is decorated to the nines.  
It could have been in Southern Living (but I promised I wouldn't tell that story)!

After chatting for a bit, we settle down to the serious stuff . . . 
The buffet!  And after that . . .
The dessert table!  

As folks wound down from eating and spread out to chat, I wandered around taking pics of Karen's *pretties*.
The gingerbread house is one she made at a guild workshop this past year.  Isn't it gorgeous?  She handmade the little teddy bear to go with it ... and all it's parts move!  It's ingenious!

Karen did tell me I could share her Southern Lady story.  She had taken quilt squares that her grandmother had made before she passed away, and found a way to turn them into ornaments, so that each of her grandma's living relatives could have one.  I was so intrigued by her description of these little trees she'd made, I asked if we could see them and she invited us up to her quilt room (and you can bet we *all* jumped on that offer) . . .
Isn't it darling?  She shared the ornament with Southern Lady when they asked for submissions of homemade ornaments with a special meaning.  Karen's little tree made the magazine!

It was on a little tree in her sewing room . . .
Which had some *really* darling little things hanging from it.  Like these two button trees:
And isn't this one precious?!
I just love the little thimble at the bottom!!

While we were up there, she shared a few of her Christmas quilts with us . . .
'
Can you see the *sparkle* fabric on Santa's hat?!?
It probably wouldn't surprise you to know that she's a regular blue-ribbon winner at our guild's shows!

As we came back downstairs, her sweet little puppies greeted us . . .
They wanted to join the party, I think.

It was time to draw ornaments!!  The ornament table was pretty full--
And the natives were getting restless!
As we took turns (going alphabetically by the name of the street one lived on), Karen passed around a bowl of handmade star ornaments she'd made as favors for us.  
I picked one with mistletoe on it!  Aren't these darling?!  Hmmm...where should I hang it?
Haha!  I was being silly!
But I'm a trend-setter, too!

I had to do *something* while I waited for it to be my turn!  Finally my turn came 'round, and since everything was wrapped in FQs, it was the fabric that folks were going for!  
I chose this little beauty, wrapped in some very festive flurry by Kate Spain!  And I really lucked out, because inside was a very darling Jim Shore ornament . . .
A beautiful little cardinal!  I'd have picked this one for myself! Isn't it pretty?!

Once the ornaments were all drawn, folks started to collect there things and go. I managed to find a few more 'quilty' Christmas things to snap photos of, like this darling Santa calendar quilt . . .
The block of Santa with the Easter Bunny is my favorite ... something about the expression on the Bunny's face just makes me laugh!

And I love this table topper . . .
As well as this pretty pine tree throw with the quilted Santa pillows . . .

One of the last shots I grabbed was of this big felt and button covered tree . . .
Isn't this marvelous?  I think it's probably pin-worthy!  We had a terrific evening and enjoyed our time together immensely.  Next week is our last get together of the year (dinner before guild).  And then our big retreat is at the end of February!  Whoohoo!!

Thanks for indulging me as I shared our night (and Karen's marvelous home and quilted finds).  And don't forget that the Quilting Gallery 5th Birthday Party Blog Hop celebration is still going strong!  You can find *my* giveaway for it right HERE!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Dar said...

Thanks for taking me along on your Christmas party, Wish I could have sampled that scrumptious looking table fare. Those quilts were stunning and your ornament would have been my pick too. Thanks for sharing your wonderful evening.

Janet O. said...

Oh, Denise, you make me laugh! You are definitely a trend setter!!
What a fun and festive evening. I think that is a cute idea to wrap the ornaments in FQs. And you got a beauty!
What a perfect home for a Christmas party. Wish I had been there!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Wow thanks for taking me along! I loved the photo's~ and your ornament? would've been mine too! LOL Have a happy day!

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing the pretties! It was almost like being there. Such fun ornaments too.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing the party with us! It looks like you all had so much fun! What a great idea to wrap an ornament in a fat quarter as a guild gift!
Karen's home looked so festive. It was a great setting!

Barbara B said...

What a great time that must have been! Karen's place is definitely festive. I miss being part of a group--have to rectify this in 2013. Thanks for all the photos!

Melissa Bishop said...

Everything looks so festive and lovely! My compliments to the hostess.
I am so excited you are joining me in the verse memorization!

Momof3girls said...

I loved going to the party, thanks for taking me along and I didn't gain any weight from the food. That's the best part! I totally love the gingerbread house and would love to make one. Do you know where I could find a pattern for one?

Barbara F. said...

What a fun time, Denise, I love that the ornaments were wrapped in FQ's. And I would have picked the cardinal too, love them. xo

Needled Mom said...

What fun! That gingerbread house is adorable.

Karin said...

Oh my goodness! What a fun evening - thank you for inviting us along! And I always knew you were a trend setter - you're the new and improved Minnie Pearl! Love those little star ornaments and that cardinal is gorgeous.

Jean(ie) said...

love the cardinal. So perfect because you probably see those at home.

What a fun event!!!!

thethimbleroom said...

Wow! Looks like you had roaring time! :)

Thanks for taking so many photos to share with us - I really enjoyed 'visiting' there with you.

Anita said...

How fun! Our guild is having an ornament exchange too! I am looking forward to tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing all your pictures!

Lea said...

What an awesome event. Those Westies are a cutie! I can picture them both wearing a Santa hat.

Doniene said...

What a wonderful array of photos!!! Thanks so much for sharing! What a wonderful time and lots of really wonderful "stuff" to see!!

Blessings