Wednesday, December 19, 2012

cray cray . . .

I love saying that ... with just a hint of twang ... as in, "Girl, she so cray cray!"

Yeah.  It's just fun.  And I'm just weird.  I totally admit it!  I'm also totally ... well ... cray cray.

For cray cray ... errrrr ... crazy quilting, that is!  I've admired it for a long time. Probably from before I even started quilting ... back when I was just *reading* about quilting (in the form of Jennifer Chiaverini's books).  One of them features prominently a quilt that a nanny created that was a crazy quilt.  I was hooked.
But I've never stitched the first block.  I've ordered books and poured over them. I've learned stitches to use.  I've learned about embellishments and started collecting them.  I've fondled and ooooh'd and aaaaah'd over friend's and fellow guild member's crazy quilts.

I think it's time to take the plunge, don't you?  I've decided that 2013 will (among many other things, I'm sure) be the year of Crazy Quilting for me.  And to that end, I've signed up for the Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2013!
One 6" block per month.  I can do it!  There's a blog ready and waiting for participants to start adding their creations -- you can check it out and read all about the project, headed by Kathy Shaw, right HERE!  I'm really excited and am already planning out my first block!

And I'd like to note ... this will *totally* be my NewFO 2013 project!!  I won't say it will be my only NewFO for the year, but it will be my focus!!  
So ... I'm linking up with the Cat Patches:  2013 NewFO Challenge!  

Joc sent a picture of Ellie earlier today.  I know Ellie has a lot of her daddy's features, but I swear, the looks Ellie gives come straight from her mama . . . 
The fruit has definitely not fallen far from that tree!!

:)

8 left a comment . . .:

Missy Shay said...

I got a really good book on Crazy Quilting called "Very Easy Crazy Patchwork". I haven't done any yet, but I will!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Good luck with the crazy quilting. Oh, I do the same with grand photos - remember that pose and go to the albums and pull a 'reminder'.

Barbara said...

I would love to make a crazy quilt some day. That's a great project. I love that picture of Ellie and Joc. She definitely has her eyes. Also, I read your post about your day with Sawyer the other day. You are so lucky to have these beautiful grands.

Jean(ie) said...

Ok, this cinches the deal, you HAVE to check out Judith Baker Montano's books. She has two about hand embellishing crazy quilts!
And then there's a another one by Brian Haggard. I've seen his work in person at IQF in 2010. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Jean(ie) said...

I'm so excited you're doing this. Now I can crazy quilt vicariously through you!

Janet O. said...

You are a brave woman--or just really cray cray! : )

Teresa in Music City said...

Yep, you're pretty much "crazy" LOL!!! I love the look of these quilts but I don't think I'll ever do one of my own. It will be a pleasure watching yours come to life :*)

cq4fun said...

I love crazy quilting! I'm finishing the top and bottom borders on my 2012 project, and starting 2013 later this month. Best of luck. I looked at your Vicki blocks, and they look very nice, indeed. Have you found Evening Star Designs yet? Very nice source!